Plastic pots can be a great addition to your home or office as well as a useful and attractive container for you vegetables, flowers, herbs and other plants. You can buy plastic pots at any home improvement store, nursery, or gardening supply center. They are available in a variety of sizes, shapes, and materials. You might find them to be too small or too big for the plant that you are trying to grow, or you might find that you need to get a larger pot in order to accommodate more plant varieties. The following article is meant to provide you with some tips on pot gardening.
* If you are new to container gardening, you should think about buying a plastic pot that is simple to clean and maintain. You do not want to make the mistake of planting vegetables in an ugly pot that will attract pests and become unhealthy for the plant later. It is also a good idea to get a pot that has a tight lid to keep soil from draining. There are many kinds of pots that are designed for certain growing conditions. The amount of light that your plants require will depend on the type of plant that you are growing. If you have one type of plant, it will need more sunlight than another type of plant.
* Make sure that you choose a potting mix that is appropriate for the size of the container that you will place it in. If you are going to grow a lot of plants, you should consider purchasing several pots so that you have one for every plant that you have. If you buy just one pot, chances are that it will not fit all of the plants that you want to grow. A five gallon plastic pot should be able to accommodate about three to four plants depending on how many plants you are planning to have.
* If you are growing herbs inside the home, you will have to water the plants often. Most people who purchase plastic pots choose those with a raised lip on the bottom. This helps keep the container water free from leaves and other debris. If the container does not have a lip, the bottom of it will end up getting filled with water which will result in the plant being drowned. In addition, the pot may overflow if the water stays in the middle of the pot. Plastic pots also allow for air circulation which keeps the container cool during hot summer months.
* If you are growing fruit trees in containers, a plastic pot will work best. If you decide to use clay pots, you can always break them and use the pieces to form the frame for the tree. However, the frames can get heavy and may cause the tree to tip over. Both clay and plastic pots are lightweight and can easily be moved around. A five gallon plastic pot will allow for plenty of room for the tree to grow.
* When choosing your potting mix, it is important to make sure that you are using the correct proportion. Too much or too little water may affect how well your plants grow. If you are growing plants that prefer a lot of sun, they will need more water than plants that need less light. Likewise, containerized plants will need different amounts of fertilizer than their seed bearing counterparts. You can purchase specially formulated potting soil at many garden centers. If you are unable to find a potting mix that suits your needs, you may want to consider purchasing a potting bench top soil.
* It is important that you keep your plastic pots clean. Remove any built up dirt from your potting mix and wash them on a regular basis. Using soap and water to clean your pots after each use will help them to last longer. Do not leave soil in the pot for extended periods as this can cause it to rot or mold.
* Some people prefer to use a metal pot instead of a plastic pot. Metal pots are typically stronger than plastic pots and also have a more stylish appearance. They are also usually larger in size, so they take up more room in the pot or outdoor storage area. The downside to metal pots is that they can rust. If you decide to get a metal pot, be sure to wash it regularly and to apply a layer of protective sealant.